Blogger news

Hackintosh : Installing Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on Gigabyte H61M-S2P-B3




Hi there ! We moved to new site here :
https://digitalnur.blogspot.co.id/2012/09/hackintosh-installing-os-x-mountain.html

About a month ago I was thinking of learning coding for iOS. As far as I know, I'd need to fulfill some requirements : learning Objective-C, (hopefully) own a iDevice (whatever it would be), and the IDE for iOS coding : Xcode. Well, somehow I'll need a Mac OS X to run Xcode. But buying a Mac is not an option, so the next thing that came to my mind was virtual machine. So there I was, busy googling and setting up Mountain Lion using VM, and Voila, Xcode is running smooth, and so was the iPhone simulator :)

Then again, setting up VM was not challenging enough. A walk in the park, I'd say. Besides, several OS X features wouldn't run in VM like iCloud, iMessage. Or maybe I just didn't figure out how.


While I was surfing the web, I came across this word : Hackintosh -- and I learned that it is possible to install Mac OS X in my own desktop ! For sure I wouldn't have the same experience to using a real iMac, but I can live with that (and without spending some US$ 1,500 for iMac too). On the other hand, setting up a Hackintosh is not an easy task.

And I experience it first-hand. Talk about weeks of trial-and-error, and buying a new USB keyboard since Mac OS X happily jumping between detecting and not-detecting my old PS/2 keyboard. And what good is a system without a keyboard --- especially when touching the screen of your monitor did nothing except wiping dusts :(

Well I managed to install Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8 and later upgraded to 10.8.2 and everything runs smoothly now --- iCloud, iMessage, Apple AppStore, you name it. Of course, Boot Camp is out of question : it needs a boot ROM :)

Here's the specification of my rig :

Intel Core i3-2100 3.1 GHz (Sandy Bridge)
Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2P-B3 (updated to F6 manually). Onboard components :
 - Atheros AR8151
 - Sound Card VIA (Intel HDA)
Corsair DDR3-4GB RAM
nVidia GT-220 1 GB (PCI-Ex) --> Also has Audio Output (HDMI)
Seagate SATA 500 GB (ST500DM002-1BC142). I only have 1 HDD running in AHCI (check your BIOS first) where Win7 and ML 10.8.2 will have to share :)
USB Keyboard & Mouse (PS/2 Keyboard is strongly not recommended)
Samsung DVD-RW (not tested for burning under Mac OS X yet)
Dell ST2220L (22" 1920x1080)

If you happen to have the same hardware as listed above, most likely ML can be installed on your PC too, just remember it's not a walk in the park.

I still use my USB Flash Disk as boot loader, maybe when I have some more spare time I'll install the boot loader in my HDD. 

In the mean time, I just love to see my desktop below :



I'll write more about how I install ML 10.8 then upgraded to 10.8.2.
Hackintosh : Installing Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on Gigabyte H61M-S2P-B3 Hackintosh : Installing Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on Gigabyte H61M-S2P-B3 Reviewed by admin@digitalnur on 10:01 AM Rating: 5

No comments:

Events

Powered by Blogger.